The Certificate IV in TESOL from IH Sydney is modelled on the CELTA course, covering all the aspects usually covered in CELTA.
The Certificate IV in TESOL from IH Sydney allows you to gain your ACTA qualification through WDA Singapore. Certificate IV in TESOL graduates get a 5 module exemption from ACTA.
Many universities in Australia will offer holders of Certificate IV in TESOL credit towards study in TESOL related degree programmes. For example, graduates of the Certificate IV in TESOL can gain one subject credit towards further TESOL studies at the University of Canberra. Candidates must apply separately to the university.
- About This Course
- Why Take This Course
- Time Table & Fee
This course is a highly practical course that introduces you to current teaching methods, practical teaching ideas and a range of TESOL resources. A major component of the course is your teaching practicum.
Our training methodology is communicative. In practical terms, this means that trainees are engaged with each other in collaborative tasks.
This is an initial qualification for people with a lot, little or no previous teaching experience and opens up a whole world of exciting teaching opportunities. Because it is awarded by International House (Sydney), it is nationally accredited on the Australian Training Framework.
Also find out about how so many of our graduates received WDA funding of 95%!
Ideally you should:
- be aged 21 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach at a range of levels.
IELTS 6.0, PTE 70. (YOU DON’T NEED TO DO IELTS or PTE). A final interview is mandatory for acceptance.
We may still accept you if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully. We may, at our discretion, accept applicants aged between 18 and 20.
Steps in registration:
- Submit the Online Registration Form and resume (online) and pay a $100 Registration Fee (look under Course Fee below).
- Based on your application and resume, you will be sent the pre interview written tasks. Please allocate about 2 to 3 hours for this and submit within 14 days of your Online Registration.
- Based the results of your pre interview written tasks and application form, we will invite you for an interview.
- Following your interview you will be notified whether you have been accepted onto the course. If accepted, a Letter of Offer will be sent to be signed and returned to us along with a payment of $1,000 to secure your place. If you are not accepted, then the Registration Fee (less $50 administrative charges) is refundable to you within 5 working days
You are assessed throughout the course on your:
- 6 hours of teaching practice/ 8 sessions (lesson planning, class teaching and self-evaluation)
- 5 written assignments (totaling 1500 words)
Your performance is measured against criteria which you are given at the start of the course. There is no final examination. Generally you need to pass at least 6 of 8 Teaching Practice sessions and not resubmit any assignment more than twice.
- the principles of effective teaching
- provides a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- gives you hands-on teaching practice
There are five main units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.How to teach speaking, writing, reading, listening, grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, function and form
You will be learning:
- to teach adults in a variety of contexts including general English, business English, exam
- preparation classes, and how to adapt these methodologies to the younger learner classroom
- lesson planning
- how to use or adapt course books and design your own classroom materials
- language analysis and awareness
- factors affecting motivation, cultural backgrounds and learner styles
- teaching practice preparation
- detailed feedback of your teaching practice
MODE OF DELIVERY: Part Time or Intensive. Student Ratio is 6:1
CERTIFICATION: IH Sydney Training Services Pty Ltd
- Government–accredited and internationally recognised course
- Funded by WDA of Singapore of up to 95% subsidy.
- Taught by highly skilled trainers
- Comprehensive understanding of different learner styles and motivation to teaching
- Hands on teaching experience
- Modelled on the CELTA
|Course Intake: CIV8/2015|
|DATES:||21 Sep 2015 to 11 Nov 2015|
Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays – 9:15 – 16:30
8 weeks. Times may be subject to change
|Course Intake: CIV9/2015|
|DATES:||22 Sep 2015 to 15 Nov 2015|
Tuesday nights 19:00 – 22:00, Saturdays and Sundays, 9:30 to 17:30
8 weeks. Times may be subject to change.
|Course Intake: CIV10/2015|
|DATES:||23 November 2015 to 17 December 2015|
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays – 09:15 – 17:00
Approx. 4 weeks. Times may be subject to change
|Course Fee||Duration||Other Information|
|$4,299||4 or 8 weeks||ALL Cert IV in TESOL courses cost $4199 + $100 Registration Fee|
|$100 Application Fee. Refundable if you are not accepted on ANY CELTA course minus an Administrative Fee of $50. Applicants must submit the pre interview task within 14 days of initial registration. Failure to do so will forfeit the Registration Fee.|
|$1,000 Securing Fee. Payable at time of acceptance. Receipt will be issued.|
|$1,500 - 14 days after being accepted|
|$1,699 - 28 days before commencement of course|
* denotes required field. >We seek your understanding that when filling filling this form you:1.use a laptop or desktop to complete this form as you may experience some difficulty while submitting using handheld devices; 2. ensure your Web Browser is updated. Older versions of browsers may not be compatible; 3.should be receiving a confirmation email from us upon completing this form. Please check your spam box (especially hotmail accounts). Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 65362193 if you have not yet received the email confirmation within 1 day.